Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love limes. Their fuityness is awesome. This jam catches the full flavor of lime. The dry white wine adds even more fruity notes. The ginger in here combines the fruit with s hint of delicate sharpness. It will be completed by vanilla, which holds the flavors all together without being recognized at first. This is true suummer jam, fresh and fruity. It is a bit of work, because you have to press out the juice of the limes, but it is worthwhile. I love it. Add some of this jam to a plain yogurt and you will have an awesome fruit yogurt. Wonderful on a slice of toasted bread. I could eat it as it is too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lime juice, and pulp (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 500 g gelling sugar (I used Dr. Oetker's Gelling sugar, see note)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime peel, grated
- 1 vanilla bean
- Press out as many limes as needed to get 1.5 cups lime juice and pulp. Don't discard the fruit flesh, because it adds much to the consistency.
- Grate the peel from as many limes as needed to get 1.5 teaspoons of finely grated lime peel.
- Cut the vanilla beam lenghtwise and scrap off the seed. Add the seeds to the grated lime peel and set aside.
- Put juice and white wine into suited pot.
- Add gelling sugar, the vanilla bean halves and freshly grated ginger. Mix.
- Over medium high heat bring the lime mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Then boil for another 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- Remove from heat and remove the vanilla beans. Add vanilla seeds and grated lime peel. Mix.
- Fill into twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.
- NOTE on limes: I use not the juice but also the fruit flesh (pulp) here. If you don't like the fruit flesh use the juice only.
- NOTE on "Dr. Oetker's Gelling Sugar 1:1". Dr. Oetker is a well known brand in Germany. There are several gelling sugars available. The "1:1" gelling sugar already contains pectin. If you can't get it, you could also use your method to make this jam.