1/1 Photo of Lime Jam With Ginger and Vanilla
I love limes. Their fuityness is awesome. This jam catches the full flavor of lime. The dry white wine adds even more fruity notes. The ginger in here combines the fruit with s hint of delicate sharpness. It will be completed by vanilla, which holds the flavors all together without being recognized at first. This is true suummer jam, fresh and fruity. It is a bit of work, because you have to press out the juice of the limes, but it is worthwhile. I love it. Add some of this jam to a plain yogurt and you will have an awesome fruit yogurt. Wonderful on a slice of toasted bread. I could eat it as it is too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Press out as many limes as needed to get 1.5 cups lime juice and pulp. Don't discard the fruit flesh, because it adds much to the consistency.
- 2Grate the peel from as many limes as needed to get 1.5 teaspoons of finely grated lime peel.
- 3Cut the vanilla beam lenghtwise and scrap off the seed. Add the seeds to the grated lime peel and set aside.
- 4Put juice and white wine into suited pot.
- 5Add gelling sugar, the vanilla bean halves and freshly grated ginger. Mix.
- 6Over medium high heat bring the lime mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Then boil for another 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- 7Remove from heat and remove the vanilla beans. Add vanilla seeds and grated lime peel. Mix.
- 8Fill into twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.
- 9NOTE on limes: I use not the juice but also the fruit flesh (pulp) here. If you don't like the fruit flesh use the juice only.
- 10NOTE on "Dr. Oetker's Gelling Sugar 1:1". Dr. Oetker is a well known brand in Germany. There are several gelling sugars available. The "1:1" gelling sugar already contains pectin. If you can't get it, you could also use your method to make this jam.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lime Jam With Ginger and Vanilla
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: