Recipe by Black Radish
The unique flavor in this flank steak comes from jalapeño powder - a potent green powder that is literally made from fresh jalapeños! If you can't find it, try using fresh chopped jalapeños for a similar flavor. NOTE: Flank steak is meant to be cooked rare to medium-rare, and will become tough if cooked longer. Don't forget to slice across the grain of the meat. Flat Iron Steak works great with this too!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapeno powder (or 1-2 fresh jalapenos, minced)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients together and pour over flank steak; marinate for 1 hour in fridge.
- Remove flank steak, brushing off excess marinade and any pieces of garlic.
- Grill over high heat until rare or medium rare inside, or sear over high heat in a hot nonstick skillet.
- You want to make sure the heat is as high as it will go, so the steak doesn't water out and "boil" instead of sear.
- The grill really works the best.
- Let the meat rest for 15 minutes, slice thinly across the grain.