Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love macaroons. These have all the flavor and are lighter.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 ounces unsweetened coconut, shavings (about 4 cups, If you can't find, use two 7-ounce bags of sweetened shredded coconut and reduce the s)
- Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 325°F
- Whisk egg whites and sugar in a large bowl just until frothy.
- Whisk in lime zest and salt. Add coconut and fold to coat.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of coconut mixture onto 2 silpat lined baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through from top to bottom and back to front, until golden brown, 18-22 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets.
I loved this recipe, it was easy and everything I was looking for. I used sweetened coconut shavings ( I couldn't find unsweetened ) and just like it said in the recipe reduced the sugar I did it by half and it worked perfectly. I also drizzled some semi-sweet chocolate over the top just because I love chocolate (the macaroons don't need the chocolate their flavor is amazing as is) and I loved it. Good job. I'm keeping this one for sure ;)