Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Whole baked chicken fryer, stuffed with lime wedges and fresh herbs out of the garden.
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, 3-4 lbs
- 3 -4 small limes, quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or roughly smashed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove neck and giblets from inside of chicken. Rinse thouroughly, inside and out, then pat dry.
- Stuff chicken with limes, onion and herbs, as much as will fit without packing too tightly.
- Coat skin of chicken with olive oil, brushing or misting over whole surface. This makes the skin nice and golden crisp. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper over skin to taste. Rub it in for great flavor.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan or casserole. Use a roasting rack if you have one. Spread any remaining stuffing around the chicken in the pan and fill with one cup water.
- Bake chiken 15- 20 minutes per pound, basting if necessary (it shouldn't be.) Remove from oven and let 'rest' for an additional 15 minutes before carving.
- Optional: This is a busy weeknight favorite for me and I often make it at the last minute. If you are better at planning ahead, you can marinate the chicken for a more intense lime taste. Use lime juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, scallions, grated peel (no white attached) of 1 lime, freshly ground black pepper, salt, dry mustard, ground coriander (or whole seeds, if you can find it in an ethnic market) and marinate for 6 - 12 hours in the fridge.
This recipe was so simple, for me a beginner and had the folks sitting around my table full. If time permits I definately suggest marinade.