Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delightful, unusual flavor combination that is great for a luncheon or dinner party.This was one of my Mother's favorite salads.
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained (reserve liquid)
- 16 ounces grapefruit sections, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Spray 9x9-inch glass baking dish or 1-1/2 quart mold with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour reserved fruit juices in measuring cup to make 2/3 cups, adding water if needed to get the correct amount.
- In pan, add sugar and gelatine, stirring to mix.
- Add the 2/3 cup of fruit juice.
- Stir and heat until sugar and gelatin dissolve.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in mayonnaise until well-blended.
- Add drained fruit and nuts.
- Pour into prepared dish or mold.
- Chill several hours or overnight until firmly set.
- Cut into nine squares.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce, topping each serving with a little mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
Loved the salad, what a good combation of fruit, I'm thinking about adding avacodo to it the next time I made it. The pecans add a nice touch. DH loved it. As you may have guessed the recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much BeachGirl.
This is a wonderul salad! I'm not a huge fan of jello salads, but this one is a keeper. I added a diced avacodo and it's absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!
What a delightful start for Easter dinner!! Hunted and hunted for grapefruit sections, couldn't find them so ended up using mandarin orange sections. Also couldn't find pecans, so used hazelnuts. Regardless it was a great starter salad. Served it on a bed of lettuce with a couple of sliced in half cherry tomatoes around the edges and some sprigs of watercress for garnish, had a lot of other dishes with cheese so decided against using it for a garnish on this one. Also served mayo on the side but noticed no one used it, it was good enough by itself. Nice tart taste. Lots of requests for the recipe, it was a nice different taste, fresh,to start dinner. Thanks for sharing.