Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sounds so good I couldn't resist posting it!! from Pantry Raid, by Dana McCauley, posted in the local newspaper. I will try it very soon!
- 12 ounces dried fettuccine or 12 ounces tagliatelle pasta noodles
- 1⁄3 cup pickled ginger
- 2 lbs large scallops
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime peel
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups 35% cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- chopped chives
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Chop 1/4 cup of the ginger and reserve.
- Remove connective muscle from each scallop and discard.
- Pat dry.
- Toss scallops with lime peel, garlic and a little salt and pepper.
- Heat veggie oil in a large, heavy frypan set over medium high heat.
- Add about on third of the scallops to the pan and cook, without disturbing, for 2 minutes or until deep golden.
- they may stick at first but will then release as they become brown.
- Turn and cook for 2 minutes longer or until cooked through and deeply golden on the other side.
- Remove from pan and repeat as necessary to cook all remaining scallops.
- Blend wasabi with 2 tablespoon of cream to make a paste.
- Pour remaining cream into frypan used to cook the scallops.
- Add butter and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and whisk in wasabi paste, chopped ginger and parmesan, if using.
- Add noodles and cooked scallops.
- Toss to coat in sauce.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to pasta bowls and garnish with rosettes made from the remaining pickled ginger and chives.
I hope you have tried this by now it is super! I cut the recipe in half - worked. I also cut back on the oil and a bit on the wasabi I didn't want the wasabi to overpower the prawns. Definately use the parmesan. Next time I will use 2% milk and cut back on the butter just for the sake of a few calories. Delicious as usual Dorothy Thanks
Excellent! This is a keeper and plan to make it again. I liked using some ingredients that I never used before, but liked them in this recipe so much that I will definitely use them again. I followed Bergy's suggestion to use 2% milk instead of cream and forgot to add the chives.
I thought this sounded so good that I made it despite not having either the ginger or the fettuccine on hand. Otherwise I followed the recipe and served the scallops over rice along with the sauce. It was Excellent!!! And so Easy!!! The lime, wasabi and parmesean is a wonderful combination. I would urge everyone to try this. For those that don't like scallops, I am sure it would work equally as well with shrimp. Definitely a keeper. Thanks!