Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A light refreshing mixture to serve for breakfast or as a summery dessert. I use Splenda as I cannot digest sugar, but you can use sugar in its place if you wish. I haven't used ginger powder in place of fresh ginger. If you do, let me know the results!
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular or 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 10 cups honeydew melon, cut in chunks
- Combine splenda or sugar with water in a small pan and bring to a quick boil.
- Remove from heat and stir to melt the sugar.
- Cool for 4 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Add zest, lime juice and ginger into the sugar mixture.
- Put melon in large bowl and pour sauce over the melon, stirring gently to mix.
- Return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
I had a honeydew that wasn't quiet ripe enough to stand alone. This was a great way to give it some zing and sweetness without making it too sophisticated for my toddler's paletes. I used the ginger powder (shook some in, don't know how much) and it think it is perfect.
LOVED THIS!!! Had a honeydew that needed to be cut up and also had a cookout that I needed to bring something to. I wanted to tweak the melon a bit, so when I found this recipe I knew I just had to give it a try! Doubt I'll ever eat plain melon again. This was delicious! I didn't have any lime zest, so I left that out but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Great stuff!! (Everyone at the cookout liked it to and kept asking what was in it!)
I loved this , it's fresh and zippy; a perfect summer time salad or breakfast treat. I'm thinking of using the leftovers in a smoothie..thanks for a yummy new fav..