Recipe by BarbryT
When I worked at the University of Florida, the University Women's Club created a cookbook in honor of their 75th anniversary. This recipe is from that cookbook, contributed by Millie Demski. It is delicious. You may prepare the spaghetti squash as specified below or, my choice, use Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash #162765. I have always made this with veal but am sure it would be excellent with pork too, or chicken--cooked much less long.
Top Review by Elmotoo
THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I used 'country style pork ribs' and cubed them. The aromas & flavor are outstanding!!! Just a smll amount of work & the stove does the rest. Made for the Aussie Swap 7/09. :) I forgot to add that I cooked my spaghetti squash in the oven, halved w/a bit of water.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) spaghetti squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, seasoned salt, paprika and dill in a plastic bag. Spread meat out in one layer on a chopping board or waxed paper and sprinkle lime rind over the pieces.
- Put veal/pork in bag of seasoned flour and shake to coat well.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy pan; when hot, brown veal or pork, stirring to get all sides. When browned, add lime juice, the white wine and chicken broth. Stir well, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, until the veal or pork is tender.
- To prepare spaghetti squash,wash and dry the squash and prick all over with a fork. Microwave about 14 minutes at full power, or until tender. Remove from microwave and allow to stand for a few minutes. Cut cooked squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and fibers from center then pull squash strands free with a fork. Melt the last 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and toss the squash in the butter just until well mixed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place the seasoned spaghetti squash on a platter and form well in the center. Put the stewed pork or veal in the well and serve. Garnish with lime peel and fresh dill sprigs if desired.