Recipe by **Jubes**
This is a great old-fashioned dessert. It just melts in your mouth and is to die for. A winner in our home. You can substitute lemons for limes in this recipe. The pudding is a beautiful lime custard bottom with a light cake topping. Use gluten-free or regular wheat flour.
Top Review by bmxmama
This is beyond delicious. It's so good! It's so light and the tang of the lime is just wonderful. it's very simple to put together, don't let the folding of egg whites or even the cooking in a pan with water up to it's side scare you. It's very simple, and very delicious. And the best part, it's very light for those warm days when you have a little bit of a sweet tooth. My dd loved this! I did use regular flour, milk and butter and it turned out just fine.
- 30 g butter (or dairy-free spread)
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar (aka superfine sugar)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free flour or 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup milk (or use soy milk)
- 1 egg white, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C ( 350°F ).
- Grease a deep 1.25 litre (5 cup capacity) ovenproof dish. Or you can use 6 individual ramekin dishes if desired.
- Beat butter, rind, sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl, until the mixture is creamy. Beat in sifted flour and juice. Gradually beat in the milk.
- In a clean small bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until firm peaks form. Fold the egg whites through the lime mixture.
- Pour mixture into the prepared dish. Place the dish in a larger baking dish with enough cold water to come halfway up the side of the dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly browned and just firm to touch.
- Dust with a little extra sifted icing sugar if desired. Serve immediately.