Recipe by Kaarin
Just a hint of lime in the cake; lots of lime in the filling. Mmmm! My dad often requests this for his birthday.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
I made this for an office pot-luck and it went FAST. It tasted very light & refreshing (although it has a whole stick of butter & 2 c. heavy whipping cream in it). A very nice summer dessert & easy to assemble. When I make this again (and I will), I will add more lime juice (or perhaps zest) to the cake batter as I didn't think any of the lime flavor came through there. When I made it, this inital first time, I did add finely grated lime zest to the filling which made it visually appealing & citrusy. Lastly, I would reserve some of the filling to very thinly "frost" the sides, think crumb coat (vs. leaving just a dry cake top and sides of layers) then pipe the whipped topping on the top layer with a pastry bag & star tip. Lastly, garnish with thin lime slices & mint leaves. Thanks for sharing!
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 lime, halved and sliced (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, line with waxed paper and grease waxed paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the flour, lime juice, 1/2 cup water and the eggs.
- Beat on high 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup water along with the rest of the cake ingredients.
- Spoon into pans and bake at 375°F for approximately 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 15 minutes.
- Invert on cooling racks, carefully remove waxed paper and cool completely.
- Slice each round horizontally to make 4 layers.
- Make filling: in a small bowl combine sweetened condensed milk and lime juice, mixing well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip cream till stiff peaks form.
- Reserve 1 cup whipped cream.
- Fold lime juice mixture into whipped cream just until blended.
- Assemble cake: place the first layer cut side up on plate, top with 1/3 of filling.
- Repeat with remaining layers, the last layer should be cut side down.
- Use reserved whipped cream to decorate top layer.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours before serving.
- Garnish with lime slices.
- Note: I use 4 large limes for this recipe.