Recipe by felicja.zajko
Cracked wheat (bulgar wheat) infused with lime flavour with hot fresh tomatoes drizzled over the top. I took a similar recipe from an english recipe website and adapted it to my taste. Note: also works well with lemon, though I prefer lime.
- 4 ounces cracked wheat or 4 ounces bulgur wheat
- 1 pint water
- 1 lime
- 3 sprigs fresh Thai basil (Ocimum Americanum) (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, fresh
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse cracked wheat/ bulgar wheat in cold water. Place in saucepan and add 1 pint water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer slowly for approx 20 mins or until water is almost all absorbed (do not let the wheat dry out). Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Grate the zest of the lime and mix into the mixture (I usually just grate it over the pan), then slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice of both halves into the pan.
- Meanwhile chop the tomatoes and heat (microwave is easiest) until piping hot, drain in a sieve so that you lose the juice - otherwise the tomato drowns out the lime.
- Once the wheat has absorbed the remaining liquid, empty into a small but deep bowl (i.e. breakfast bowl) and pat down to firm. Tip upside down onto a serving plate so that you have a neat mound and immediately pour over the hot tomatoes.
- Voila! One scrummy mound of lime-flavoured cracked wheat with tomato drizzle. Serve with your main dish and allow guests to help themselves.
- Alternative serving suggestion: for a tasty & simple main dish, cook as above except mix the wheat with the tomatoes and add heated chopped smoked sausage (i.e. polish Kielbasa, german Frankfurter, or just plain hotdogs) and serve. I cook this often when I get home late and want to cook but can only manage to cook something simple.