Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat to 300°; have a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom at hand.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and salt to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until blended.
- Add in the sugar and lime zest; process for a few seconds, until blended.
- Scatter the butter cubes over the flour mixture; pulse 6 or 7 times.
- Add in the vanilla extract; then process for 6 seconds, or until the crumbs are fine and powdery.
- Process for another 5 to 7 seconds, until the crumbs are clumpier and the dough holds together easily when pressed.
- Press the crumbs evenly and firmly into the tart pan.
- Press the back of the tines of a fork all over the edges of the pan, and sprinkle the shortbread with the coarse sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until it is just barely colored around the edges; don’t let it brown.
- Place the pan on a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove the rim of the pan, and cut the round into 16 wedges while it is still very warm.
- Transfer the triangles to the wire rack and cool completely.