Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rich and aromatic and surprisingly quick -- about 20 minutes. Use real garam masala -- not the yellow supermarket curry.
- 4 fish steaks (mahi mahi, tilapia, catfish) or 4 fillets (mahi mahi, tilapia, catfish)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 dried hot pepper (or pepper flakes to taste)
- 1 large fresh tomatoes, seeded or 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon additional garam masala or 1 tablespoon mild red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 to 2 lime, juice of
- Rub fish with garam masala and brown on each side in hot oil in a skillet. The fish shouldn't cook through. Remove from skillet.
- Saute onion and garlic in additional oil (if needed) in the skillet with the lid on, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and slightly browned. Add pepper, tomato, and more garam masala. Cook with the lid on for a minute to "melt" the tomato.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the fish and simmer, covered, until cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
- Squeeze lime juice over fish and sauce. Remove the hot pepper. Serve over hot cooked rice.