1/1 Photo of Lime Chutney
Stay in the Bay NZ's Note:
This is just gorgous, the limey flavour really sets this off. Beautiful in sandwiches with meats and cheese, gorgous with cheese and anitpasto platter!! Also goes well with curries and most cold meats
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ripe yellowed limes
- 2 tablespoons cooking salt
- 6 1/2 ounces raisins
- 5 ounces sultanas (if you can't get sultanas then just use raisins)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 inches piece finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 1/4 cups malt vinegar
- 1 kg soft brown sugar
- 1Cut 10 ripened yellowed limes into eight wedges each. Place in large glass bowl, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cooking salt and stir well, cover with plastic wrap or lid and leave for 48 hours in cool dark place, stirring occasionally.
- 2Drain, rinse well and mix with raisins and sultanas. Process in batches in food processor until coarsely chopped.
- 3Heat 3 tablespoons peanut oil in large heavy based pan, add cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, chilli powder, black pepper, garlic and ginger (don’t overcook ginger or it will become bitter.).
- 4Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until very aromatic.
- 5Add the lime mixture, vinegar and soft brown sugar. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- 6Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Pour into warm, sterilized jars and seal.
- 7Refrigerate after opening. Makes about 2½ cups (600ml).
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lime Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 286.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: