Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A brightly flavored, non-bake pie perfect for sultry summertime dinners. From an old newspaper clipping. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 chocolate cookie pie crust (store-bought, Chocolate Crumb Crust, or your own recipe)
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated (room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional) or chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup of lime juice.
- Blend 3/4 cup sugar, salt and slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Turn into heavy saucepan with remaining lime juice; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add softened gelatin, lime rind and food coloring.
- Stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Chill until partly thickened.
- Beat egg yolks until stiff but not dry; gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- Fold partially thickened gelatin mixture thoroughly into whites and turn into crust.
- Refrigerate several hours or until firm.
- Garnish with whipped cream rosettes and chocolate curls just before serving.