Recipe by Ceezie
Burritos have a lot in common with enchiladas, both consisting of rolled-up tortillas filled with a variety of tempting ingredients. Burritos, however, are eaten out of hand, while enchiladas are prepared en casserole. By the way, the Pico de Gallo link listed as a garnish is more than just a suggestion. It is the perfect complement to these outstanding burritos. Recipe Source: texascooking.com
Top Review by Alison.Lindner
I added a lil more to add variety to the flavor. First I mixed a can of corn with a can of black beans and heated it up with chicken broth, oregano, lemon juice and some tobasco sauce. Then I made a packet of spanish rice. I added both to my whole wheat flat bread "burrito" and it was AWESOMELY EPIC!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion, white part only
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 60 inches flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup diced ripe tomatoes (no seeds, no pulp)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- pico de gallo
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken pieces in a glass or plastic container. Combine the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and onion and pour mixture over the chicken pieces. Allow chicken to marinate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in a 400°F oven while you assemble the garnishes. When ready to serve, transfer to a hot plate or tortilla warmer.
- Drain the marinade from the chicken pieces, reserving the marinade. In a large skillet, brown the chicken pieces in the olive oil over medium-high heat. When pieces are browned, turn heat to low and stir in the reserved marinade and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes until liquid has almost cooked away. Do not allow mixture to dry out. Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Put chicken, tortillas and garnishes in individual serving dishes on the table, and let guests assemble their own burritos.