Recipe by Jujubegirl
I "iron chefed" this one based on items I had on hand. Amazingly, it turned out to be the best ice cream I ever had. When I tasted the custard in the fridge, I very seriously considered serving the custard as dessert without even churning it into ice cream. The taste is amazing. Very very rich, but not heavy, not too sweet, with lots of flavor nuance. Truly premium. Prep time does not include time to chill in the fridge.
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces goat cheese (soft)
- 1 teaspoon agar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lime (juice and zest of)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a saucepan, heat the evaporated milk, coconut milk powder, salt, and half the sugar.
- 2. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks with the other half of the sugar.
- 3. Add the yolk/sugar mixture to the pan, whisk well.
- 4. Bring up to 175 degrees, promptly remove from heat.
- 5. Add agar and goat cheese, whisk well, letting the cheese melt into the custard.
- 6. Add juice and zest of lime, whisk, let cool on countertop. Refrigerate for at least3 hours to let the flavors mingle.
- 7. Process according to ice cream maker specs.