Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Even if your cookie cache is already full,you have to stuff in a batch of lime bars. Shortcake crust is tender and buttery-good. The topping has a delicate lime essence that is much more refined than lemon bars.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 4 eggs
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 78.07 ml fresh lime juice
- In bowl, combine flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter.
- Press into 13x9" pan.
- Bake 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs on high till pale yellow.
- Gradually add sugar and salt and lime juice.
- Continue beating on high.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Cool and cut into bars.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen.
- NOTE- You may add 2 drops of green food coloring to egg mixture for that lime green color -- .
I love lemon bars and couldn't wait to try these. I was not disappointed. The shortbread crust is buttery and flakey and the lime topping is sweet, creamy and not too tart. The only change I made was to add the grated zest of one lime to the crust. Perfect!
I was a bit worried at first when I removed these from the oven, as they were brown on top, but still liquid inside. I put them back in the oven, reduced the heat to 325, and cooked them about another 8 minutes. They turned out very good! Like others I added a generous amount of lime zest. The filling is just right, not too tangy nor too sweet. The crust is very flaky and yummy. (I'll admit I was also 4 Tb short on butter, so I subbed in just 2 Tb of canola oil, but the texture did not suffer at all.) I would definitely make these again.
These are yummy, tart, but not too! I made exactly as posted, adding LOTS of grated lime zest. I lined my 13x9" pan with nonstick aluminum foil and baked the shortbread bottom exactly 22 minutes at 350 degrees initially, then finished with the filling added for exactly 22 minutes. I sifted lots of powdered sugar on the warm bars, then cooled them in the pan and easily removed them by by lifting the two ends of foil. I cut the cooled bars in small bite-sized pieces. Delish!