Recipe by Potluck
Even if your cookie cache is already full,you have to stuff in a batch of lime bars. Shortcake crust is tender and buttery-good. The topping has a delicate lime essence that is much more refined than lemon bars.
Top Review by Brinestone
This is my Amelia Bedelia recipe. You know, the one that makes people forgive multitudes of your shortcomings? Yeah, I teach piano, and I always serve lime bars at recitals. I didn't intend for it to be that way, but I got so many requests it became tradition. Sometimes I wonder if parents are keeping their students with me so they can get their semiannual lime bar fix.
Okay, I don't really think that. Very often.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter.
- Press into 13x9" pan.
- Bake 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs on high till pale yellow.
- Gradually add sugar and salt and lime juice.
- Continue beating on high.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Cool and cut into bars.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen.
- NOTE- You may add 2 drops of green food coloring to egg mixture for that lime green color -- .