Recipe by hannahactually
I just made these today, and they were a huge hit! The flavors are so complimentary. Perfect for a light finish to a summer meal. The baked mixture needs to be chilled well before it is cut into a dozen bars, so you can definitely prepare this dessert in advance. You can garnish each bar with some julienned lime peel or serve them unadorned. Recipe courtesy of Betty Rosbottom in the Chicago Sun-Times Food section.
- 14 -16 gingersnap cookies, ground in a food processor to yield 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons crumbs (or more)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus extra
- butter, for greasing the baking pan
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 7 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons grated lime zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange a rack at center position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor, combine ground ginger snaps and sugar, and process until well mixed, about 30 seconds. Add melted butter and pulse until just combined. Using your fingers, press mixture firmly onto the bottom of prepared pan. Bake 8 minutes, then remove pan from oven to cool 15 minutes.
- In a mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup of the sugar and cornstarch until just combined. Then beat in the egg and 2 tablespoons of the sour cream. Add ginger, 1-1/2 teaspoons lime zest and lime juice, and beat until just combined. Pour mixture into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula. The cream cheese layer will be only about 1/2 inch thick. Bake until a tester comes out nearly clean, about 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, but retain oven temperature. Whisk together the remaining 5 tablespoons sour cream, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon lime zest in a small bowl, then spread mixture evenly over the top of cream cheese layer. Return pan to oven and bake 5 minutes. Remove and cool in the pan; then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, cut into 12 bars. If desired, garnish each bar with julienned lime peel, and garnish platter with mint sprigs.