Prep 2 hrs
Cook 6 mins
This recipe is from "Sunsets" Low Fat Mexican Cookbook. Wonderful recipe, You can serve this as an appetizer, first course or as part of your main meal.
- 1 lb sea scallops or 1 lb bay scallop
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4 " matchsticks
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- lime wedge (for garnish)
- Rinse and drain scallops, if they are large cut in half crosswise so they are approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- In a fry pan combine oil, shallots and chilies, cook until the shallots are soft, stirring about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, vinegar, and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add scallops, arranging them in a single layer.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer until the scallops are just opaque about 2 minutes.
- Transfer scallops to a bowl.
- Boil the liquid over high heat until reduced to 1 cup approximately.
- Pour over the scallops, cover and refrigerate until cool at least 1 1/2 hrs or up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile fix the Jicama (cut into matchsticks).
- Gently mix the Jicama with the Scallops and spoon into 4- 6 soup bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.