These cakes are baked in preserving jars and can be stored up to two weeks. The freshness of lime and cream cheese is accompanied by the nutty notes of almonds. But the best is, that you can make the cakes in advance. You can take them with you for a picnic. And if you like you can eat them directly out of the glass. The cakes are moist with almost the consistency of cheese cakes. Use your favorite cream cheese. The recipe is calculated for 4 servings, but you can easily make more. The baking is calculated for preserving jars with a volume of slightly more than one cup.
- Preheat oven (350°F, 175°C).
- Grate lime finely. Divide into two parts. Mix one part with 1 tablespoon sugar. Put into an airtight container and set aside.
- Divide eggs into yolks and egg whites.
- Beat the three egg whites with salt until stiff. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat further until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix softened butter with the rest of sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add cream cheese and mix well.
- Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Add lime juice and and the 2nd part of lime peel and mix.
- Mix finely grounded almonds with cornstarch and add to mixture. Mix until blended. Don't overmix.
- Fold in the egg whites carefully.
- With a brush oil 4 preserving jars (see note on jars). But don't oil the rim.
- Divide dough equally into the 4 jars and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until dough is done or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and while hot close the preserving jars. Let cool completely in the jars.
- You can store the cakes for about 2 weeks.
- SERVING: Open the glasses and carefully take out the cakes. Sprinkle each cake with some of the lime sugar. Enjoy.
- NOTE on preserving jars: they should have a volume of about 1 cup or a bit more. The rim of the glasses should not be oiled, because glasses would not be airtight then.