Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was trying to re-work my frozen lima beans into something I could entice the kids with and came up with this dish. It was so simple with its zesty sweet flavor, and the kids ate every bite.
- 453.59 g bag frozen lima beans
- 5 slice bacon
- 78.07 ml diced red onion
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Boil the lima beans according to package (about 10-12 minutes-I used pressure cooker for 5 minutes).
- While beans are cooking fry bacon in a medium frying pan on medium heat until crisp and drain.
- Add the red onion and cook additional 5 minutes.
- Add lima beans, salt, and pepper to pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and stir.
- Add a couple Tablespoons water for saucier texture.
I made this recipe last night and we loved it! In fact, I think these may be the best lima beans I've ever eaten. The tang of the red onions was a nice addition. (I added a little more than 1/3 cup.) Bacon crumbled in at the end provides a nice crunch and (obviously) great flavor. I will definitely be making this recipe again-- it's fast, easy, & tasty! Thanks for posting!
These were fabulous! I had already boiled the lima beans for dinner, but just wasn't looking forward to eating them plain. I'm so glad I checked recipezaar out first. This was fast and easy, and I had all the ingredients on hand. I used half a bag of lima beans, one slice of bacon, and handful of red onion, and a generous sprinkle of brown sugar. This recipe is going to become a staple. My 6 year old preferred his beans plain, but his 1 year old sister ate nothing but these beans for dinner tonight!
These were great. I changed them just a bit. I used parkay spray butter to taste with water to cook in. Didn't have red onion, used white, and used Splenda brown sugar.I also used turkey bacon. I thew everything in pan and cooked. YUMMY! My daughter who didn't like Lima beans loved them. Thank you.