Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tasty beans, freeze them and then bake them.
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 9 drops Tabasco sauce
- bacon, strips
- Wash beans.
- Soak beans in water in Dutch oven overnight.
- Do not drain.
- Add onion; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until beans are almost tender.
- Combine brown sugar, ketchup, corn syrup, salt, liquid smoke and Tabasco sauce in bowl; mix well.
- Stir into beans.
- Cool quickly and pack into containers.
- Seal and freeze.
- Recommended storage time: 6 months.
- Makes 9 cups.
- TO SERVE: Thaw at room temperature until beans can be removed from container.
- Place in baking pan or casserole.
- Cover and bake in 400 F.
- oven until beans can be pressed into shape of baking pan or casserole.
- Top with bacon strips.
- Bake, uncovered, until beans are hot and bubbly.
- (Each quart of beans requires 1 hour baking.) Farm Journal's Best Ever recipes.