Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb frozen lima beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a stock pot heat first 4 ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and salt.
- Spinkle grated cheese on top.
I really like lima beans and this is a great and different way to prepare them. This is a really good soup. I left out the onion, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. Thanks for the new recipe!
This is a delicious and easy soup. I followed the instructions exactly except I added some corn because I did not have enough lima beans. Very tasty by itself and it went very well with whole wheat toast.
Delicious!!! We used 1 cup of raw lima beans that we soaked over night. We don't use stocks because we try to reduce the sodium factor...so I added 6 cups of water and simmered for 3 hours. I also had a little left over cabbage so I chopped it up an dropped it in during the last hour. Yummy! Next time I may add barley for more fiber...