Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A low-fat vegetarian sandwich spread that I have never tried but always meant to! From Sarah Schlesinger's "500 Fat Free Recipes." The cook time is actually the chill time.
- 3 cups lima beans (cooked fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Puree the lima beans in a food processor until smooth.
- Put the beans in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Spread on bread or crackers.
Amazing. I omitted the peppers (due to food allergies) and my kids aren't fond of red onions, so I just let each person add their own. It was great in a roll-up with spinach, cucumbers, and fresh tomatoes. I used frozen limas, and I did have to add a little bit of water to make it spreadable.
I'm sorry, but this just didn't impress me. It tastes strongly of lemon, cayenne and garlic, all of which overpower the taste of the lima beans. I love lima beans so was disappointed not to be able to taste them.
I loved this spread, Jen. It is very thick but not so much that it wouldn't spread. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice. The flavors come together well and are very vibrant. Since I have a strange love for lima beans, I will be making this regularly. It is great for lunch or a quick snack. Thanks for posting.