Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick, easy and delicious soup. I found this recipe in a magazine several years and it is a staple in our house.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, pinto beans, lima beans, brown sugar, salt and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until lima beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in white kidney beans, heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into warm serving bowl; sprinkle with 1 to 2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese if desired.
This is beyond simple to make, and wonderfully nutritious to boot. I added a couple of stalks of chopped celery with the onion, and a cup or so of leftover mashed potato just because soup is the natural repository for leftovers. We did find it lacking in seasoning, but that was easily fixed - I added savory, pepper, paprika and basil.
Wonderful recipe. So simple. I used regular kidney beans (couldn't find white), some unknown
beans from the garden I will call lima beans and a can of black beans. Delicious. Thanks.