Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup really doesn't taste like lima beans at all, so don't let it's name scare you off.It's a delicious thick soup similar to pea soup and an old family favorite (especially during the winter). I come from a large family and we need to make one large pot of soup for dinner (hopefully with leftovers). It should be renamed though to "clog your arteries soup"
- Place rinsed lima beans and 2 quartered onions in a 6 quart pot.
- Fill with water until 2 inches from top.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Once soup comes to boil, reduce heat and simmer 4 hours, stirring occasionally, replacing water as needed to keep at 2 inches from top of pot.
- After 4 hours place diced potatoes to soup and continue to simmer 1 more hour.
- Brown bacon pieces in frying pan, reserving all drippings.
- Slowly add browned bacon pieces and 3/4 of drippings to soup.
- Stir flour to remaining drippings in frying pan and stir till smooth.
- Add flour and dripping mixture to soup and stir well.
- Salt and pepper to taste, simmer for 5 minutes and serve.