Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
don't want the same old green bean casserole. give this a try. works best with a bag of dried lima beans. canned will be way to soggy when done.
- 2 cups dried lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- cook beans for 1 hr beginning with cold water. Add salt in last 1/2 hours drain and reserve 1 to 2 cups liquid.
- melt butter in skillet and brown beef, onion, garlic and pepper.
- add tomatoes, chili powder, lima beans and cheese.
- Put in greased casserole dish. add enough of the reserved liquid to barely cover beans.
- bake @ 350 degrees F for 1 hours.