Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good side dish for BBQ's. I like to spice it up with a couple of jalapenos or hotsauce, It's up to your personal taste
- 3 cans canned lima beans, drained or 1 lb fresh lima beans or 1 lb frozen lima beans, cooked until tender
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped fried until translucent
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- If you are using fresh or frozen cover the beans with water and bring to a boil, skim the surface& simmer untiltender about 25 minutes for fresh, 6 minutes for frozen.
- Canned Lima beans just heat& drain throughly.
- Grease an oven proof pan (Deep Casserole).
- Fry the bacon until translucent,m add onions& pepper saute for about 6 minutes Add beans and cook until hot, stirring frequently About 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoe sauce& stewed tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until most of the juice has evaporated about 20 minutes.
- Pour into the casserole dish.
- You can do the recipe up to here the day ahead, refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before putting in the oven) Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, bake until hot with the cheese is melted and lightly browned Apprx 20-25 minutes.
- If you are going from start to finish with this recipe without refrigerating you will only want to have it in the oven for apprx 15 minutes just to get the lovely color to the cheese and have it bubbly
- Serve immediately - hot
Lima beans are a nice change from the usual bbq summer bean casseroles, this is an especially good one. I made this the night before and put it in the oven when our roast was almost done. The only change I made was to add a couple of smashed cloves of garlic. It makes a big casserole, so we enjoyed it for supper and then I froze the rest of it. It will probably be even better after the flavours meld, thanks for another keeper Bergy!