Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a lovely way to serve lima beans. They make a beautiful presentation on a buffet and it is nice to serve a different veggie once in a while. You can make ahead in the AM but do not put the crumbs, butter & cheese until later. Bring out from fridge, bring it to room temperature and then heat oven to 350°F. Place in preheated oven for approx 20 minutes, take out of the oven & sprinkle on the cheese, crumbs & butter return to oven. Place it approx 6 inches below broiler and broil for approx 10 minutes or until the crumb mixture is golden and the casserole is heated through.
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook the lima beans until tender 8-10 minutes.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter (margarine) in a saucepan and add celery and onion.
- Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of the cheese, Worcestershire and finally add the lima beans.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Combine remaining cheese, butter and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the beans.
- Broil 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted and the top is golden.
I finely found a way to get my stubborn husband to eat lima beans. Thanks for this delicious casserole. We both loved it and found the worcestershire sauce and cheese to be the key ingredients. I ended up using 1/2 cup cheese in the casserole and 1/2 cup cheese for the topping. Yummy!!
I started with the 1 lb of large raw lima beans which takes a lot more time and work then doubled the amount of other listed ingredients. Our family loved it and is definitely a keeper for future meals.
I made this last night using our frozen limas and really enjoyed the flavors. Usually I cook them with onions and garlic but I get tired of the same old limas. The left overs were great! Thanks Bergy for another tasty way to cook veggies.