Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This makes a large batch (12 servings), so you may want to freeze some portions for later! Taken from the Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lima beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups water (I use 3 cups water, 3 cups broth, any kind works)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Mix all ingredients except tomatoes in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 10 to 12 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until hot.
I'm a huge soup lover, and this recipe is top notch!! I sauted the onions, celery, and carrots in olive oil first for a little extra flavor. Easy and delicious...my huband loved it!
this soup was easy to make and very delicious. i used smoked sausage instead of the kielbasa and one clove of garlic, garlic and i don't get along, lol. will make this a lot even though i don;t really have cold winters anymore in Florida. I also am putting it in my gorgeous grandchildrens cookbook I am creating here on the 'zaar.
I made this on the stovetop and simmered a few hours. Took the suggestion of "Scouter Girl" and sauteed the veggies first. I used frozen baby lima beans (did not have dried). I held out the tomatoes initially because DD does not care for them, I then decided to leave them out entirely fearing that it would be too salty with them. I would make it again, but omit the salt altogther and add tomatoes as directed. My baby boy LOVED it! Thanks for another great soup recipe for my file.