Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The bacon and mayo make this dish special. The old Southern vegetable salad originated with leftover fresh vegetables at the height of the summer, but it's really good using frozen veggies. Makes a tasty side for any summer meal and it's very easy to cut the recipe in half if desired. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 10 slices bacon
- 16 ounces frozen baby lima beans
- 16 ounces frozen white shoepeg corn
- 6 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.
- Blanch lima beans in lightly salted boiling water about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Blanch corn in unsalted boiling water until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. As vegetables complete cooking, drain in colander and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking and refresh the vegetables.
- Combine beans, corn, scallions, bacon, mayonnaise and vinegar. Toss to coat and add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours for flavors to blend.
So far outside the realm of what I'd usually make. But I had everything on hand for it and felt like trying something new. This went over really well. BF never says anything about what I feed him but said he really liked this. (forgot I had a southern boy lol) I did tweak it a bit. Used miracle whip since that's what we like. Used bacos to keep it vegetarian and had to use dried chives. Served it with Bergy's grain stuffed tomatoes. Thanks Ninja!
ABSOLUTELY loved this dish! A great twist for lima beans and corn that will surely please your family and friends. Thanks for sharing this winner, ninja!