Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my late mother's favorite side dish recipes. Pretty and colorful, and the taste is great!
- 4 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- breadcrumbs or crushed potato chips, for topping
- Cook lima beans and corn together, following package directions.
- Make sauce by melting margarine in sauce pan and adding the chopped spring onions.
- Blend in the flour, milk, salt and one cup of grated cheese.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken; add pimento and water chestnuts.
- Layer vegetables and sauce in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, beginning with vegetables and ending with layer of sauce.
- Top with 1/2 cup grated cheese and bread crumbs or crushed potato chips, your preferance.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and casserole is bubbly around the edges.
This was soooo good! We really enjoyed it and it will definitely be a keeper in our home. Thank you! Margie
A delicious way to serve two of our favorite vegetables, especially in winter when they are coming from the freezer. The colors were pretty; country food dressed in its Sunday best. Thanks for reminding me that it does not take long to stir up a white sauce instead of using yet another can of cream soup. Thanks Gwanny Hill.