Chef #1558539's Note:
With Fairtrade Fortnight right around the corner, what better time to try out some delicious and unusual baked treats created especially for the occasion by cupcake queen Lily Vanilli. These are so delicious that you'll want to bake them all year round, but I think they taste even better during Fairtrade Fortnight! The FAIRTRADE Mark is the only independent consumer label that ensures farmers in developing countries receive an agreed and stable price for the crops they grow. Choosing Fairtrade versions of everyday staples such as tea, coffee and sugar needn't cost you much more (and in the case of the Tate & Lyle cane sugars I've specified, there is no price premium), but will make a massive difference to the lives of the farmers and their families!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices unsmoked organic back bacon
- 150 g ripe fairtrade bananas (approx 2 small)
- 60 g fairtrade honey
- 100 g unsalted organic butter (at room temperature)
- 40 g tate & lyle fairtrade caster sugar
- 140 g organic plain flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large free-range organic eggs (at room temperature)
- handful fairtrade brazil nut (toasted & chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fairtrade nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fairtrade ground cinnamon
- 12 paper, cupcake cases
- 1Lay rashers of bacon on a foil lined sheet and place in a cold oven with the temperature set to 200c for approx 20 mins or until crispy. Allow to cool.
- 2Turn heat down to 180c.
- 3Mash bananas with honey in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4Sift together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl - flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- 5Cut butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients, blend with an electric mixer on medium speed until evenly incorporated.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 7Mix in the banana/honey mixture, spices and Brazil nuts to taste.
- 8Spoon into cupcakes cases, filling almost to the top .
- 9Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- 10Remove and leave to cool in the pans for approx 3 mins - then transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- 12Beat the butter until smooth, then add half of the sugar, the double cream.
- 13and the honey.
- 14Continue beating, slowly adding the rest of the sugar to achieve a smooth, even texture.
- 15Ice each cooled cupcake with a thick swirl of frosting and top with strips of cooled bacon and chopped Brazil nuts.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lily Vanilli’s Bacon and Fairtrade Banana Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.2
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 272.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 57.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: