Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
I haven't tried this yet but it sounds delicious. I found it on an advertisement from a community development group. There's an optional glaze recipe at the bottom. This recipe didn't give prep & baking times so the times are estimates looking at the instructions.Saving it here to try as soon as I can find some lilikoi juice..
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup lilikoi juice (freshly squeezed or frozen)
- 1 cup flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and salt. Using the mixer set to low, add to butter until just mixed.
- Dump dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough into a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet with your hands. Chill for 30 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool.
- FOR FILLING, whisk together eggs, sugar, zest, lilikoi juice and flour. Pour over the cooled crust and bake 25 to 30 minutes until the filling is set. Cool to room temperature. Cut into squares or triangles and dust with powdered sugar.
- OPTIONAL GLAZE: 1/4 c water, 1/2 c granulated sugar, 1/4 c lilikoi fruit juice (about 6 lilikoi), and Juice of 1/4 lemon. Boil the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add passion fruit and lemon juice and boil for a further 3 minutes. It will boil rapidly and looks like it expanded. Remove from heat and allow to cool. It will turn into a thick and sugary passion fruit syrup. Allow to cool and drizzle over lilikoi bars.
- IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT INTO CUPCAKES: Use cupcake liners in cupcake pan. Fill each 1/2-3/4 full with batter. Bake the cupcakes at the same temperature called for in the cake recipe, but reduce the baking time by one-third to one-half (cupcakes usually bake for 15-20 minutes). Check for doneness with a wooden toothpick. It should come out clean. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.