1/1 Photo of 'lil' John's Oven Deep Pit
12 hrs 30 mins
A well seasoned shredded beef recipe that will keep em' commin'. Slow cooked and the aroma in your house will drive em' nuts! Its enough for a large dinner party. And the leftovers are even better the next day, if there's any left that is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 -2 cup sauce soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning, mix (I use Pappy's Seasoning Mix)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1Additional Items needed: Large Roasting or Sheet Pan, Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, Butchers String, Large Brown Paper Shopping Bag.
- 2Tear 3 sheets of aluminum foil large enough to cover and seal meat.
- 3Place meat in a mixing bowl and pour the soy sauce over meat and being sure to get the soy sauce all over the meat.
- 4Place meat on the sheets of foil.
- 5Mix all the dry seasonings together and rub over the top and sides of the meat.
- 6Bring the first sheet of foil sides up and fold together being careful not to let the liquid run out, Then fold up the ends of the foil to seal, Make sure there are no leaks.
- 7Continue folding up the remaining sheets of foil one at a time.
- 8Carefully place the wrapped meat in the bottom of the Brown Paper Bag and fold the bag snugly and tie up with the two pieces of butchers string.
- 9I like to refrigerate 1-2 hours before cooking, However you can cook right away.
- 10When ready to cook preheat oven to 225°F.
- 11Place the meat package (keep it in the foil and paper bag tied)in the roasting pan or sheet pan and cook for 12 hours.
- 12Pull the packaged meat out and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- 13Remove the paper bag and carefully (It's Hot!) open the foil and lift the meat out with a spatula (the meat should be falling apart)and place into a deep container, Retain all the juices, with 2 forks shred the meat well and pour the remaining juices over the meat and stir.
- 14Serve with sour cream, salsa or whatever ya like.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 'lil' John's Oven Deep Pit
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 953.5
- Calories from Fat 639
- Total Fat 71.0 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 250.3 mg
- Sodium 1940.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 70.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Old Bay Seasoning