We have given up all other meat loaf recipes for this one. I love the individual servings and every bite has the yummy catsup sauce where in "regular" meat loaf it's just a small strip on top! With the smaller loaves it also makes the cooking time a bit quicker. This recipe came from '99 TOH magazine but I added the rubbed sage for some extra flavor. Enjoy!
- In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.
- Stir in cheese, oats, onion, salt and rubbed sage.
- Add beef and mix well.
- (It will seem runny at first but will thicken up as you mix.) Shape into 8 equal sized loaves (oval/egg shaped) and place in a greased 9X13X2" baking dish.
- Sauce: Combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard.
- Spoon over each loaf so they are all covered in the sauce.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- For OAMC:.
- To Freeze:Place the meat loaves in the casserole dish (without sauce).
- Wrap with foil and freeze.
- To Reheat: Defrost overnight.
- Mix together the sauce and top each meat loaf with sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Cooked meat loaves (already topped with sauce) also freeze very well and then can be defrosted and heated in the microwave for a quick meal.