Recipe by DDW
We have given up all other meat loaf recipes for this one. I love the individual servings and every bite has the yummy catsup sauce where in "regular" meat loaf it's just a small strip on top! With the smaller loaves it also makes the cooking time a bit quicker. This recipe came from '99 TOH magazine but I added the rubbed sage for some extra flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sirpezy
Wow, these were awesome!! I used 85/15 ground turkey & 1/2 ts of onion powder instead of chopped onions & omitted the sage. My DH, DD, Mom & myself loved it. I was kind of worried about how runny they seemed but they turned out excellent. The sauce is wonderful, I never thought to use brown sugar with the ketchup. I had also made these up a few hours ahead of time & stored in the fridge until I was ready to preheat the oven. Thanks for a keeper!!
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4oz)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.
- Stir in cheese, oats, onion, salt and rubbed sage.
- Add beef and mix well.
- (It will seem runny at first but will thicken up as you mix.) Shape into 8 equal sized loaves (oval/egg shaped) and place in a greased 9X13X2" baking dish.
- Sauce: Combine catsup, brown sugar and mustard.
- Spoon over each loaf so they are all covered in the sauce.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- For OAMC:.
- To Freeze:Place the meat loaves in the casserole dish (without sauce).
- Wrap with foil and freeze.
- To Reheat: Defrost overnight.
- Mix together the sauce and top each meat loaf with sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Cooked meat loaves (already topped with sauce) also freeze very well and then can be defrosted and heated in the microwave for a quick meal.