1/2 Photos of Like Zio's Tomato Florentine Soup
1 hr 10 mins
This soup is flavorful, hearty, filling, rich and satisfying. It is easy to make and if you enjoy tomato soup this is well worth trying. I found this recipe in the Colorado Springs Gazette online, it is courtesy of Zio's Itallian Kitchen. I am posting the original, feel free to modify it to fit your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup diced onion (1/4-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3/4 cup vegetable juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, julianned to 1/8-inch
- 1Prepare a roux: Heat 3 tablespoons butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Whisk in flour. Cook until straw colored, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until golden brown.
- 3Add garlic and continue to sauté 1-2 minutes.
- 4Remove mixture from heat and pure in food processor.
- 5Prepare chicken base: Dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in hot water.
- 6In a small Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat tomatoes, ketchup, vegetable juice and chicken base over medium-low heat.
- 7Add pured onion mixture, basil, dill, hot pepper sauce, sugar, black pepper and wine.
- 8Simmer 15 minutes.
- 9Whisk in roux and simmer an additional 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- 10Whisk in cream.
- 11Add spinach.
- 12Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Like Zio's Tomato Florentine Soup
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.7
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 866.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 5.6 g