Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup is flavorful, hearty, filling, rich and satisfying. It is easy to make and if you enjoy tomato soup this is well worth trying. I found this recipe in the Colorado Springs Gazette online, it is courtesy of Zio's Itallian Kitchen. I am posting the original, feel free to modify it to fit your taste.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion (1/4-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, julianned to 1/8-inch
- Prepare a roux: Heat 3 tablespoons butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Whisk in flour. Cook until straw colored, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and pure in food processor.
- Prepare chicken base: Dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in hot water.
- In a small Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat tomatoes, ketchup, vegetable juice and chicken base over medium-low heat.
- Add pured onion mixture, basil, dill, hot pepper sauce, sugar, black pepper and wine.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Whisk in roux and simmer an additional 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in cream.
- Add spinach.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate.
This is just like what I had it Zios. I love this soup and I was so easy to make. Also is good served over pasta as a sauce.
Such a great recipe! Especially for a rainy day. We made this tonight without the wine. It was superb! Great with some garlic bread and fresh salad.
Soup is my favorite food. The tomato Florentine soup from Zio's specifically is my favorite soup and has been for at least a decade. I have been hunting for a good copycat for at least that long. I found this, and made it. I was nervous. It smelled right, but I was still kind of suspect. I WAS SO WRONG. This soup is a spot on recreation of the soup from Zio's! So, thank you so much for putting this out there!!!