Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a vegan cersion of this Starbuck's scone. This recipe origially comes from www.recipehints.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegan sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk or 1⁄2 cup rice milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease cookie sheet lightly with butter or oil.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and dash of salt. Add in vegan sugar, butter (softened), lemon juice, and soymilk and mix until just combined.
- Stir in blueberries and/or raspberries LAST and gently mix. Do not over mix!
- (Over mixing dough with berries can cause your scone to have a dullish purple/gray hue rather than a warm buttery color.)
- Drop dough into 6-7 circular clumps on cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Quick and tasty. I made 7 out of the batch and had to cook for 20-25 min instead of the 15 recommended. Great recipe if you need to quickly whip up a dessert or breakfast.
Pretty easy to make, not healthy (what pastry is?), but still delicious. A little too crumbly, I had the same problem as the user above: my scones flattened and looked like hardy pancakes. My sweet fiance said they were great, but I think I would try and make smaller bunches. I just old fashioned oats. The lemon juice is great for cutting sweetness. Overall, give it a shot.
This was great! I made a few changes due to what I had around the kitchen. I used this recipe in my blog, posted here: http://susnasty.blogspot.com/2009/08/blueberry-oat-scones.html