Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a very inexpensive meal that makes super creamy hamburger helper. I like hamburger helper but it always dries out too fast. This recipe doesn't. Even the next day it stays super creamy!
- 1 lb hamburger, browned
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 3 (7 1/4 ounce) packages Kraft macaroni and cheese (for 2 of the macaroni & cheese boxes use only the cheese mix & save the macaroni for soup or somethi)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- Brown the hamburger in a dutch oven or 12 inch skillet. When browned, drain off fat. Rinse the hamburger, to make it lower in fat, if desired. It doesn't hurt the taste at all.
- Add the milk, butter, water, cheese package mixes, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add macaroni.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 7 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- Add garlic powder and season with salt to your taste.
- Add the cubed cream cheese and stir until melted and blended.
- Serve immediately. Yummy.
Everyone liked it :)
This was pretty good. I didn't rate it with stars because I don't cook my hamburger helper like the box says and I did this recipe the same as I do with my box stuff. This was better than the box stuff by far. I did add a little Lawrys season salt. My way of seperating the ingredients and cooking them probably makes the outcome different. I do mine like Hamburger Helper My Way explains.
This was easy to make with simple ingredients most people hav around. I thought it was a little lacking in flavor until I realized I had forgotten the garlic powder. The addition of it really did make a difference. I also added just a little pinch of red pepper just because my family likes things a little on the spicy side.