Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
A copycat version of Country Choice brand organic Multi Grain Hot Cereal. Nutritious, filling, stick-to-the-ribs good. Luckily, all the ingredients listed I can easily find in the bulk bins at any of the natural food stores in town. If desired, a little bit of salt can be added to the water prior to boiling. Please note that the ingredients list barley as an ingredient. It should read 'barley flakes'.
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 1 cup barley (*BARLEY FLAKES*)
- 1 cup wheat flakes or 1 cup triticale, flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats (quick cooking would probably work best)
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- To prepare (cooking directions are given for  servings): In a saucepan bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in 1 cup of the multi grain cereal mix, using a fork.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. By this time, most of the liquid should have evaporated. Serve hot.
- Alternate cooking instructions: For a creamier cereal, combine the water, salt and multi grain cereal in the sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook as directed above.
- For 1 serving use 1 cup water, (salt), and 1/2 cup multi grain cereal. For 6 servings: 5 cups water, (salt), 3 cups multi grain cereal.
- Serve with your favorite hot cereal toppings: milk, brown sugar, plain yogurt, dried or fresh fruit, nuts/seeds, etc.
I used barley, red and white wheat, oats and rye. A very nice mix which I enjoyed for breakfast. Thanks Cookgirl! Made for Vegetarian swap-March 2011.