Prep 2 mins
Cook 6 mins
I really like couscous and this is one way I serve it. It is usually a side dish but sometimes I have it as my lunch.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced into ribbons with vegetable peeler
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 teaspoons low-fat margarine
- Put vegetable stock, shallots, carrots and spices into a pot and bring to a rapid boil.
- Boil for two or three minutes until the carrots are becoming tender.
- Pour in couscous, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for about five minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is tender.
- Put back onto a very low heat and just stir through the margarine until the couscous is fluffed up.
I've never used couscous thought I would try it. Wow where has this been all my life!! Delicious recipe�� Thank you!!
Great couscous dish! Loved the spicing, nothing overpowering but very tasty. I used baby carrots so just sliced thinly instead of shaving. Served with grilled shrimp; I think it would be great with chicken too, or on its own as a light lunch. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Well you're right, this is a lovely side lunch to be enjoyed in the bright sunshine of the day. Or curled up on the couch taking sometime out, devouring this special couscous! I followed this exactly, loving the shallots, cumin, and small carrot. Lovely! will be making this more often. Made for ZWT6 Zee Zesties!