Recipe by Um Safia
I know there are other cakes on Zaar known as 'Wonder Cake', this is nothing like them though.....the reason why I call this a wonder cake is because from start to finish, it's ready to eat in about 8 minutes flat!!! This cake is perfect for unexpected guests or if you need to take a cake to a pot luck with little notice etc. So really, there's no need for that old phrase " If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake". Ok so you don't bake this, but it cooks up beautifully & is wonderfully soft & most importantly, unlike other microwave cakes, it won't become tough. I have other variations of this cake including chocolate, which I will post a.s.a.p............
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 4 ounces margarine, melted
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons lime marmalade, melted
- 3 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles, to decorate or 3 tablespoons preserved gingerroot, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs, sugar, zest & ground ginger into the margarine.
- Add the flour & mix, then add the water, mixing again.
- Pour into a well greased microwave safe dish (I like to use a 7"x11" rectangular stoneware dish).
- Cook on full power for 5 minutes (my microwave is 900W / E rated - you may need to adjust your times to suit your microwave).
- Brush the cake with the melted marmalade & return to the microwave to cook on full power for another minute.
- Decorate with the chocolate sprinkles or the preserved ginger & cut into slices or squares & serve.
- If you wish to save any cake, cover it with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container for upto 3 days - it will stay soft & moist like this.