Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Cooking Light-feel free to use your favorite color of peppers. To keep it light and add even more flavor, substitute turkey Italian sausage. I haven't made this version yet, but I would probably top with some additional parmesan after uncovering.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bag boil-in-the-bag rice
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 3⁄4 lb ground sirloin
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups marinara sauce, recommended is Classico tomato-basil or homemade
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cook rice according to pkg. Set aside.
- While rice cooks, cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut side down in an 8" square microwave safe baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 2 min or til crisp-tender.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add beef and next 5 ingredients; cook 4 min or til beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1/2 c pasta sauce, and cheese to beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 c pasta sauce and wine to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Spoon about 3/4 c beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; add sauce mixture then cover with foil.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minute Uncover; bake 5 more min or til lightly browned. Garnish with pepper tops if desired.