Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
(From Everyday Food) Scampi minus the butter and wine. Keep a bag of frozen (raw) shrimp in the freezer and you can have a quick and easy weekday meal on hand. (It just takes a few minutes to quick thaw the shrimp, follow the directions on the bag.) I always have a jar of minced garlic in the fridge and I often sub bottled lemon juice for fresh. I serve with steamed broccoli and a salad. You could also serve with a side of pasta, rice, or garlic bread.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on, pat dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Set broiler rack 4 inches from heat.
- Place shrimp in a large broiler proof rimmed baking sheet. (I use a 9x13 glass baking dish.)
- Sprinkle with oil and garlic and season generously with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Toss to coat. Arrange shrimp in a single layer.
- Broil 3-4 minutes, until opaque throughout. Sprinkle with lemon juice, toss to combine. Serve immediately.
This recipe is excellent. I couldn't believe how fast dinner was on the table. It was quick and very easy to prepare. The shrimp were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. I used the red pepper flake option adding about 3/4 tsp of pepper. Served it on simple egg noodles, with butter, parmesan and peas. Thank you for sharing your recipe that we will enjoy again and again.
An excellent alternative to the butter-filled typical scampi, and the flavor was still yummy! The only change I made was to add a couple more cloves of garlic. I will definitely make this again! I made this for Spring PAC 2010, thanks!
WOW!! This is still on the stove waiting for dinner,it is great.I am having it over fettucinne and being on a diet did not want to add butter to it.I added Ken's lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing to the shrimp to cote the noodles.They were delicious before I added the dressing and still the same after.I will be using this one again and again.Thank you for posting it Pomtini.Oh,must add it is very easy to make.