Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lighter version of Paula Dean's Shrimp ad Grits by her son Bobby Dean for his show, "Not My Mama's Meals".
- 59.14 ml Canadian bacon, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 411.06 g tomatoes, canned, petite-cut, no-salt diced
- 59.14 ml white wine, dry
- 29.58 ml Greek yogurt, plain and nonfat
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking polenta, uncooked
- 709.77 ml water, hot
- 14.79 ml chives, fresh and chopped for garnish (optional)
- Add the bacon to a nonstick skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, yogurt, hot sauce and salt, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the skillet.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn bright pink and are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy cast-iron skillet, add your polenta and allow it to toast for about a minute.
- Add the hot water and slowly whisk the polenta and water together.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve the shrimp mixture over the polenta.
- Sprinkle with the chives if desired.
- Cook's Note: If your Canadian bacon doesn't render enough fat to saute your vegetables, add a teaspoon of olive oil.