Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lighter version of Paula Dean's Shrimp ad Grits by her son Bobby Dean for his show, "Not My Mama's Meals".
- 59.14 ml Canadian bacon, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 411.06 g tomatoes, canned, petite-cut, no-salt diced
- 59.14 ml white wine, dry
- 29.58 ml Greek yogurt, plain and nonfat
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking polenta, uncooked
- 709.77 ml water, hot
- 14.79 ml chives, fresh and chopped for garnish (optional)
- Add the bacon to a nonstick skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, yogurt, hot sauce and salt, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the skillet.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn bright pink and are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy cast-iron skillet, add your polenta and allow it to toast for about a minute.
- Add the hot water and slowly whisk the polenta and water together.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve the shrimp mixture over the polenta.
- Sprinkle with the chives if desired.
- Cook's Note: If your Canadian bacon doesn't render enough fat to saute your vegetables, add a teaspoon of olive oil.