Lighter version of Paula Dean's Shrimp ad Grits by her son Bobby Dean for his show, "Not My Mama's Meals".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, canned, petite-cut, no-salt diced
- 1/4 cup white wine, dry
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain and nonfat
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking polenta, uncooked
- 3 cups water, hot
- 1 tablespoon chives, fresh and chopped for garnish (optional)
- 1Add the bacon to a nonstick skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp.
- 2Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- 3Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add the tomatoes, wine, yogurt, hot sauce and salt, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 6Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 7Return the bacon to the skillet.
- 8Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn bright pink and are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, in a heavy cast-iron skillet, add your polenta and allow it to toast for about a minute.
- 10Add the hot water and slowly whisk the polenta and water together.
- 11Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 12Remove from the heat.
- 13Serve the shrimp mixture over the polenta.
- 14Sprinkle with the chives if desired.
- 15Cook's Note: If your Canadian bacon doesn't render enough fat to saute your vegetables, add a teaspoon of olive oil.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Shrimp and Polenta (Bobby Dean)
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.9
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 308.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: